Built in 1696 and attributed to Sir William Bruce, the house at Hill of Tarvit was originally called Wemyss Hall. In 1904 it was bought by Mr F.B. Sharp and rebuilt to a design by Sir Robert Lorimer to form a suitable setting for his collection of French, Chippendale and vernacular furniture, Dutch paintings, Flemish tapestries and Chinese porcelain. In 1949 the property was bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland by Miss E.C. Sharp.