"Creich parish is about 3 miles in length and 2 in breadth. Its surface is nearly level, and the soil sandy & thin; but agriculture is making rapid improvements. On a little eminence near the church are the vestiges of a Roman camp, and at a short distance therefrom are the remains of a castle, which formerly belonged to Cardinal Beaton. This parish was the birthplace of the Rev John Sage, the first of the post-revolution bishops in the Scottish episcopal communion, and the author of that very remarkable production the 'Fundamental Charter of Presbytery'." from Slater's Directory published 1852.